Violence breaks out at Scottish Cup Final

Hibernians fans clash with Rangers fans after ending 114-year wait

A pitch invasion and disorder between fans marred the end of the Scottish Cup final, as hundreds of Hibernian supporters streamed onto the pitch to celebrate their team's victory.

Fighting broke out between Rangers and Hibs supporters at Hampden Park as Hibs ended a 114-year wait to win the trophy.

Police horses had to be brought on to restore order as police and stewards struggled to cope.

An investigation has begun to establish how a large number of supporters were able to get onto the pitch after the final whistle.

Hibernian won the game 3-2 after captain David Gray scored an injury time winner.

Rangers players appeared to be goaded by Hibs fans as they tried to get to the dressing room.

And the Glasgow club said players and staff were assaulted by Hibs supporters who invaded the pitch.

Hampden Park officials said the Rangers players would not return to the stand to collect their runners-up medals, getting them in their changing room instead.

As Hibs fans returned to the stands part of the pitch was ripped up and the goal posts were broken by supporters climbing on them.

Police Scotland said it was working to identify those involved in the disorder.

Chief Superintendent Kenny MacDonald said: "We understand that feelings run high at these events and fans want to celebrate their team's win, however the reckless behaviour of fans entering the pitch is totally unacceptable and inexcusable. This created a significant safety issue.

"This action led to an outbreak of disorder between rival fans on the pitch. A dedicated investigation team is being set up to identify those who have carried out these acts of disorder and violence."

Rangers commended its own supporters for displaying restraint under 'severe provocation'.

A statement from the club said: "Rangers Football Club is shocked at the disgraceful behaviour of Hibs fans at full time.

"Rangers players and staff were assaulted by these fans who invaded the pitch and in the interests of their safety could not return to the pitch for the medal presentation.

"There can be no place for the violent behaviour witnessed at the end of the final and Rangers fully expect the Scottish Football Association and Police Scotland to launch an investigation to find out where security measures failed.

"The club would like to commend Rangers fans for the restraint the showed under severe provocation."

Stewart Regan, chief executive of the Scottish Football Association, said: "Police Scotland and the stadium management initiated a crisis liaison group as soon as the disorder began and we thank them for containing the situation as quickly as possible.

"The Scottish FA, along with Police Scotland and the stadium management, have initiated a full investigation into the scenes that unfolded to understand how such a volume of supporters were able to enter the field."

Speaking after the match, Hibs boss Alan Stubbs told Sky Sports: "I wish all the fans had left the pitch so we could celebrate it properly.

"We don't condone what has just happened, but that is 114 years of hurt. Everyone's safety is the most important thing. I can understand the euphoria that surrounded it. I don't condone it, but I understand it."