King's Hospital say gardaí and Tulsa are investigating the incident
Mobile phones of eight pupils have reportedly been confiscated after an alleged sexual assault at a Dublin school.
King's Hospital school say gardaí and Tulsa (the Child and Family Agency) are currently investigating the incident.
It is reported that a 13-year-old boy was sexually assaulted by eight other pupils.
A number of students are believed to have been suspended.
The incident is said to have taken place last Thursday - but authorities were reportedly only notified on Tuesday.
Religious affairs correspondent with the Irish Times, Patsy McGarry, told Newstalk Breakfast school authorities are alleged to have gone to the gardaí and Tusla after they were contacted by journalists.
"Tusla had not been contacted on Tuesday, nor had the gardaí, that was done subsequently on Tuesday afternoon they'd contacted by media.
"In the intervening period it's not clear what did happen at the school - certainly what did not happen was the civic authorities were not notified, as is the National Guidelines on Child Protection".
It is believed the school first contacted its lawyer, who then advised them to go to the gardaí and Tusla.
Mr McGarry also says the alleged perpetrators were asked to hand in their phones amid concerns the incident had been filmed.
In a statement on Friday evening, the school said: "At no stage did the management and staff fail to act on legal advice. Neither did the school seek advice from the State agencies by using hypothetical scenarios."
Education Minister Richard Bruton says the alleged incident is disturbing and worrying.
Education Minister says the alleged incident at Kings Hospital is disturbing and worrying for parents pic.twitter.com/fU2hAAGwX5— Sean Defoe (@SeanDefoe) December 2, 2016
A call made to King's Hospital from Newstalk was not returned at time of publication.