Marie Conlon's remains lay undiscovered for around two-and-a-half years
A man has been charged in connection with the death of Marie Conlon in West Belfast.
The 68-year-old woman’s body was discovered on Friday after concerns were raised over her welfare.
Her remains lay undiscovered for around two-and-a-half years before police entered the property.
A 23-year-old arrested in connection with the discovery has been charged with theft, fraud, burglary and preventing the lawful burial of a body – however, he is no longer suspected of murder.
He is due to appear in court next month.
In a statement yesterday, the Conlon family said Marie was "very much loved by her family and will be mourned greatly."
"She was a very independent person," they said.
"Numerous attempts had been made to contact her in person, and by other means, over the course of the past two years but at no point were suspicions raised that she had been deceased.
"It is only with hindsight that the unimaginable now seems possible."
West Belfast residents have been speaking to Q Radio News of their shock following the discovery:
“That particular block, there were people coming and going an awful lot so if you didn’t see the lights on or if the blinds were closed – it wasn’t something that was unusual,” she said.
“I have lived there for years and I’ve never, ever seen that lady so I wouldn’t know even what she looked like.”