Figures released this Friday evening show 7,941 people were homeless in June
New figures show that almost 8,000 people were recorded as homeless in June.
The latest figures from the Department of Housing shows 7,941 people - including 2,895 children - were without a home in June.
The Department says progress has been made in moving families out of hotel and B&B accommodation, with just 638 in that type of emergency accommodation.
However, the figures overall show the number of homeless people continuing to rise, with over 100 more adults in emergency accommodation compared to May.
Homelessness charities and activists have raised concerns about the latest figures.
Francis Doherty of the Peter McVerry Trust highlighted the youth homeless figures, observing: “The fact that 46.5% of people in homelessness are young people aged 24 or younger is very worrying.
"Specific initiatives promised in Rebuilding Ireland for ring-fenced housing and associated funding for 18-24 year olds has not yet materialised almost a year later."
June Tinsley, head of advocacy with Barnardos, said: "In May, 647 families were in such accommodation and in June this figure had fallen to 638. This demonstrates that the number of families entering homelessness remains higher than those exiting.
"A net decrease of just nine families is extremely disappointing and disheartening."
Meanwhile, Sinn Féin's housing spokesperson Eoin Ó Broin hit out at the timing of the figures.
He argued: “It is an absolute disgrace that the Minister for Housing Eoghan Murphy and his Department have published the June homeless figure late on the Friday afternoon of a bank holiday weekend. These figures should have been published last week."
Deputy Ó Broin added: "The building and buying of the homes for families in acute housing need is just not happening fast enough. There appears to be little urgency is getting vacant homes back into use or building a meaningful supply of social or affordable housing."