Buckingham Palace say he may still choose to attend events "from time to time"
Buckingham Palace says Britain's Prince Philip will no longer carry out public engagements from the autumn.
The husband of Queen Elizabeth II will attend previously scheduled events between now and August, but will not be accepting new invitations after that time.
However the palace says he "may still choose to attend certain public events from time to time."
Prince Philip - also known as the Duke of Edinburgh - is patron, president or a member of over 780 organisations.
The palace says he will continue to be associated with them, but will no longer play an active role.
A statement from Buckingham Palace says Queen Elizabeth II "will continue to carry out a full programme of official engagements with the support of members of the royal family."
Prince Philip is 96 next month.
Speculation mounted earlier as staff at Buckingham Palace were called to an 'emergency meeting'.
Queen Elizabeth II marked 65 years on the throne back in February, making her the longest serving British monarch in history.
She also celebrated her 90th birthday last April.
Queen Elizabeth II met British Prime Minister Theresa May at the palace on Wednesday to mark the dissolution of parliament ahead of the June 8th general election.
While Prince Philip opened a new stand at Lord's Cricket Ground, named after former England captain Pelham Warner.
It is believed staff from royal residences across the country - including Windsor Castle and Sandringham - attended the meeting Thursday morning.
They were addressed by the the most senior aide of the royal household, Lord Chamberlain, and the Queen's private secretary Christopher Geidt.
Buckingham Palace has served as the official London residence of the British royal family since 1837.