Netflix severs ties with Kevin Spacey

The streaming service has pulled an upcoming film starring the actor about the writer Gore Vidal

Netflix severs ties with Kevin Spacey

File photo: Kevin Spacey arrives at the Q&A Screening of

Netflix has said it is cutting ties with Kevin Spacey – and has pulled an upcoming film starring the actor about the writer Gore Vidal

The network had already insisted it would not remain involved with 'House Of Cards' if the actor remains on the show.

The network suspended production of the upcoming sixth and final season of the hit drama earlier this week.

Spacey plays US president Frank Underwood in the series.

CNN has reported that eight current or former House Of Cards workers claim Spacey made the production a "toxic" workplace and one ex-employee alleges the actor sexually assaulted him.

Spacey has not been arrested or charged with any crime.

The service also said it would not be moving ahead with the release of the film ‘Gore,’ which Spacey produced and starred in.

The film was in post production.

"Netflix will not be involved with any further production of House Of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey," the company said in a statement.

The show has streamed on Netflix and has been produced by the company Media Rights Capital (MRC).

"We will continue to work with MRC during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show," the Netflix statement said.

Police investigation

Meanwhile, the Metropolitan Police in London are investigating a claim of sexual assault against Spacey, which allegedly took place in the London borough of Lambeth in 2008.

At the time of the alleged attack, Spacey was artistic director of the Old Vic theatre in the city, a role he held between 2003 and 2015.

The police investigation follows a story in The Sun newspaper earlier this week in which a man, now aged 32, said Spacey had abused him when he was 23.

Child sexual harassment

Spacey has faced multiple accusations of sexual harassment or abuse over the last week, after actor Anthony Rapp said the star had made a sexual advance toward him in 1985.

At the time Rapp was just 14-years-old and Spacey was 26.

In a statement, the actor said that he did "not remember the encounter", but said that he was "beyond horrified to hear his story."

"If I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology," he added.

He then addressed rumours about his sexuality, saying he now "chooses to live as a gay man."

The decision to link his sexuality to child sex allegations attracted severe criticism from both his Hollywood peers and the gay community.

Evaluation

On Thursday, Spacey's publicist said the actor was seeking "evaluation and treatment" following the allegations about his behaviour.

The star has faced a public backlash since the claims about his behaviour have emerged, in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal.

On Friday, a Dutch business forum cancelled a conference appearance by the actor in Rotterdam later this month.

BusinessBoostLive said "it is not desirable" for Spacey to speak at the event following the sexual assault allegations.

Spacey's 2017 Emmy Founders Award has also been revoked following the allegations.