The teenager displayed symptoms of anaphylactic shock after having a chocolate drink
A Dublin pharmacist has been praised after administering a life-saving EpiPen to a 17-year-old.
The teenager - who has a nut allergy - suffered an allergic reaction on Grafton Street after drinking a chocolate drink.
Feeling unwell, she phoned her father who advised her to go to a pharmacy immediately.
Pharmacist Sarah Chambers gave the teenager, who had a rash and swollen lips, two adrenaline pens as they waited for an ambulance.
Sarah, who works at Hickey's Pharmacy on Grafton Street, explained: “The patient explained that the last time she had an allergic reaction to nuts was when she was aged four.
"She displayed characteristic symptoms of anaphylactic shock including a rash and swollen lips and so we immediately called an ambulance. I then administered 2 adrenaline pens and stayed with her to monitor her condition until the ambulance arrived.”
The girl has since made a full recovery after being taken to St James's Hospital.
Tom Concannon, Superintendent Pharmacist of Hickey’s Pharmacy, said: “We’re very proud of Sarah for her quick actions. Acting quickly is crucial where anaphylaxis occurs. The emergency services must be called immediately on either 112 or 999 and adrenaline should be administered.
"We’re absolutely delighted that we were able to help this young woman and that she has made a speedy recovery," he added.
The ability to administer the EpiPen in first response situations was brought into law by the then Health Minister Leo Varadkar in October 2015.