Las Vegas has been given the go ahead by the Nevada Athletic Commission to host boxing and mixed martial arts events from this weekend.
The NAC have tonight lifted their pandemic suspension, which had been in place since March.
Tyron Woodley and Gilbert Burns' welterweight clash will headline a U-F-C event in Vegas this Saturday while Top Rank are planning a boxing card early next month.
“The UFC, like Top Rank, has been very aggressive, creative and enthusiastic about providing the best operational plan possible to make the environment as safe as possible. Now we just have to carry that out," NAC executive board member Bob Bennett said of their decision.
“You’ve always heard the Nevada State Athletic Commission say we look out for the health and safety of the fighters," he added.
“We’re not only looking out for the fighters now with COVID-19. We’re looking out for the health and safety of the fighters, their corners, the production people, the announcers, security, our officials and our staff because all of these folks are being tested and quarantined, and they have to go home to their loved ones after the fight. So it’s our responsibility to ensure we provide the best testing available, including quarantining.
“They (the UFC) got better and better with their protocols at each event,” he said. “Just like when you have a soft opening when you’re opening a casino, you’re going to hopefully get the majority of it right and then constantly improve upon it, and I think that’s exactly what they did. And that’s exactly what we’ll do here. We’ll adhere to the governor’s directives, to the CDC mandates and ensure social distancing and everyone wearing masks.
"And if they don’t have masks, they’ll be behind plastic shields.”