Supermarkets in the UK have been told to make sure daffodils are kept separate from fruit and vegetables to prevent customers eating the poisonous plants by mistake.
Public Health England (PHE) said people have been known to mistake daffodil bulbs for onions and the stems of a popular Chinese vegetable.
PHE has sent a letter to stores advising them on how to avoid this happening as the flower comes into season.
If eaten, daffodils can cause vomiting and diarrhoea and irritation to the mouth and throat, according to the British Columbia Drug and Poison Information Centre, which said symptoms can last anywhere from four to 24 hours.
GP Dr Sarah Jarvis explained some of the risks:
Professor Paul Cosford, head of HPE, said: "We can't hope to stop every possible incident but I would hope that by ensuring that daffodils are not displayed alongside fruit and vegetables, we can reduce the number of people accidentally buying them as food."
In the letter, entitled "Steps to avoid daffodil poisonings this spring", Prof Cosford, said: "Each spring stores such as yours provide a wide selection of flowers, particularly cut daffodils and daffodil bulbs."
"Unfortunately there are rare occasions when the bulbs are mistaken for onions, and the stems or leaves are mistaken for a type of vegetable popular in China.
"As I'm sure you are aware, daffodils are dangerous if eaten and poisoning can occur as a result."
"We are asking you, along with all other major supermarkets, to ensure that daffodils, both the bulbs from which they sprout and the cut variety too, are displayed well away from the produce or fruit and vegetable area."
Originally posted at 10.43am