Newstalk
Newstalk

21.56 8 Apr 2020


Share this article


25 more coronavirus-related deaths and 365 new cases in Republic

There have 25 been more coronavirus-related deaths in the Republic.

The total number of deaths here now stands at 235, according to the latest figures from the Department of Health.

Meanwhile, 365 new cases have been confirmed today - meaning the nationwide total has now reached 6,074.

Commissioner says people living in holiday homes must stay there

FILE PHOTO Commissioner Drew Harris. Photo: Sam Boal/Rollingnews.ie

The Garda Commissioner has warned anyone that has travelled to a holiday home that they must now stay there until the COVID-19 lockdown is lifted.

Gardaí have been handed sweeping new powers to enforce the virus restrictions and have today launched a major enforcement operation.

Operation Fanacht will see thousands of checkpoints established on the roads as well as high-visibility patrols at tourist locations and natural beauty spots.

53 COVID-19 patients have been discharged from Irish ICUs to date

53 of the COVID-19 patients admitted to Ireland's intensive care units to date have since been discharged.

As of midnight on Monday, 25% of patients who been diagnosed with the virus had been hospitalised - and over 200 had been admitted to intensive care.

Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan said of the 227 admissions to intensive care to date, 147 remain hospitalised in intensive care.

Bernie Sanders drops out of US Democratic presidential race

Bernie Sanders Bernie Sanders (Credit Image: © Alexander Seyum/ZUMA Wire)

The US Senator Bernie Sanders has dropped out of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination.

It leaves the former vice-president Joe Biden as the party's presumptive candidate for November's general election against Donald Trump.

Mr Sanders said the path towards victory in the current race was "virtually impossible", and that it was a "very difficult and painful decision" to suspend his campaign.

Northern Ireland man pleads guilty over Essex lorry deaths

A lorry driver has pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of 39 people, who were found dead in the back of a refrigerated container in England.

Maurice Robinson (25), who is from Craigavon in Northern Ireland, entered his plea at the Old Bailey in London.

Emergency services discovered the bodies of the Vietnamese nationals at an industrial estate in Essex, shortly after the lorry arrived on a ferry from Zeebrugge in Belgium in the early hours of October 23rd last year.

Main image: Pictured are members of the Gardai preparing to set up their checkpoint on O'Connell Street in Dublin today, after Gardai were granted special powers to deal with the Covid-19 pandemic last night. Photo: Leah Farrell/RollingNews.ie

Share this article


Most Popular

Live: Title

Now playing

00:00:00 / 00:00:00
Added to queue
Removed from queue

On Air

Share

Share


Up next

Episode title
Show
Duration

You currently have no podcasts in your queue.

Go to podcasts

On Air

The Hard Shoulder

The Hard Shoulder

16:00-19:00

Share

Up next

OFF THE BALL

OFF THE BALL

19:00-22:00

Share

SPLANC

SPLANC

22:00-00:00

Share

BEST OF NEWSTALK

BEST OF NEWSTALK

00:00-07:00

Share

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT

07:00-08:00

Share

NEWSTALK BREAKFAST WITH SUSAN...

NEWSTALK BREAKFAST WITH SUSAN KEOGH

08:00-09:00

Share

THE HOME SHOW WITH SINEAD RYAN

THE HOME SHOW WITH SINEAD RYAN

09:00-10:00

Share

DOWN TO BUSINESS WITH BOBBY KE...

DOWN TO BUSINESS WITH BOBBY KERR

10:00-12:00

Share

FUTUREPROOF WITH JONATHAN MCCR...

FUTUREPROOF WITH JONATHAN MCCREA

12:00-13:00

Share

OFF THE BALL

OFF THE BALL

13:00-17:00

Share

00:00:00 / 00:00:00

Share on