Hotel guests have some bottle when it comes to the hotel mini bars it seems.
A new survey reveals 80% of people have admitted refilling used mini-bar bottles with water - in an effort to dodge paying the bill.
The poll of 500 hotel guests by the website lastminute.com also found that Dublin mini bar prices are average - with the exception of wine.
The capital is second only to New York when it comes to paying top dollar for a bottle of plonk from the mini bar.
It's €31 in the Big Apple - while punters in Dublin can expect to shell out just under €30.
But what else can you find in that mini bar? These days you don't just find expensive drinks and snacks, you can find lots of exotic fare to purchase at a highly inflated price as well.
Here are some of the more 'unusual' mini-bar contents we've come across:
- The Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago has an in-room water library with a $25 bottle of bling H2O, decorated with genuine Swarovski crystals.
- The Delamar Greenwich Harbor in Connecticut, have Honeydrop drinks, locally made juices and teas sweetened with wildflower honey instead of refined sugars. The mini-bar also includes a "make your own" martini option.
- The Chatwal in New York has such non-edible items as a signed copy of American Eve, a story about the love affair between architect Stanford White, who designed the building, and Evelyn Nesbit. There's also a copy of The Great Gatsby, a box of candy cigarettes, a set of custom-designed playing cards and chocolates from Paris’ oldest chocolatier.
- At the flashy Thompson Beverly Hills, designer Alexander Wang created special packaging for PROPER ATTIRE condoms, which are for sale at all Thomspon hotels, as well as on the brand’s website.
- You can find a pair of 3D glasses in the Ace Hotel mini bar in Portland. We guess they're for all the 3D movies you're planning to pay for during your stay there.
- Minibars at London's Levin hotel are champagne-stocked minibars. Guests can choose from a selection of bruts, roses, and cuvees, as well as a wide variety of mixers to make the perfect champagne cocktail.
- One of New York’s sexiest boutiques. it should come as no surprise that the Bryant Park Hotel also offers a sex toy menu of items from it's Pleasure Chest. So maybe this doesn't quite fit under our 'mini-bar' list but it's still worth a mention...