New figures show 9,753 people were living in emergency accommodation in Ireland last month.
The statistics, from the Department of Housing, show 1,617 of these were families - while there were 3,559 homeless children.
The department has said these figures are a decrease of 215 people nationally.
There was a fall of of 111 families and 252 of their children in emergency accommodation, and 11 fewer families accommodated in hotels in Dublin.
While there were 37 more adults accessing emergency accommodation.
For the fifth consecutive month, the number of families presenting to homeless services in Dublin has decreased.
The department said 70 families were "prevented from entering emergency accommodation" in the capital during the month of December.
While 111 families exited emergency accommodation into new homes.
Commenting on the figures, Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy said: "December saw a reduction of 111 families and 252 of their dependents in emergency accommodation which was to a degree anticipated given the time of year.
"For the fifth consecutive month, however we have seen a reduction in the numbers of families presenting to homeless services in the Dublin region and a fifth consecutive month where we have seen a reduction in the numbers of families entering emergency accommodation.
"This is showing us that increased outreach and prevention activity, such as HAP Placefinders, are starting to deliver results."
"The report does show an increase of 37 adults accessing emergency accommodation, which was expected given the large numbers of new beds introduced for rough sleepers in the Dublin region.
"These individuals are now receiving the care and support that they need to exit homelessness to an independent tenancy."
However, one charity has said a weather warning in place for the week will mean extra strain on resources.
The Inner City Helping Homeless (ICHH) has said its outreach teams reported that there were no available beds in the freephone system as of 11.30pm on Tuesday night
ICHH CEO Anthony Flynn said: "Despite assurances from (Housing) Minister Murphy and the head of the DRHE Eileen Gleeson that there are enough beds available for anyone that is homeless during the current cold spell this clearly isn't true at all.
"Our teams last night made four attempts to secure accommodation for people they met on their nightly routes around Dublin only to be told that there wasn't any beds available.
"The ICHH teams assisted 86 people on their routes last night, 70 males and 16 females, so we are way under resourced when it comes to bed availability.
"With snow forecast this week we have grave concerns for the safety of people sleeping rough around the country and the minister is clearly getting bad information from his team and the council if he thinks there is a bed for everyone that needs it."