French authorities name 'terrorist' Louvre attacker

Police say 29-year-old Abdullah Reda al-Ha-mamy is alive but seriously injured after the incident

French authorities name 'terrorist' Louvre attacker

Police officers patrol at the pyramid outside the Louvre museum in Paris. Picture by Thibault Camus AP/Press Association Images

Updated 22:00

French police have named the suspected terrorist who attacked soldiers with a machete at the Louvre museum in Paris.

The French President, Francois Hollande has praised the courage of the soldiers who stopped the attacker - who was armed with a machete and two backpacks.

The 29-year-old Egyptian attacker- names as Abdullah Reda al-Ha-mamy - was shot and wounded as he tried to enter the famous attraction.

"First I would like to pay tribute to the courage determination and reaction of the soldiers," said President Hollande. "One of them has been injured, the other one reacted as he was expected to; they neutralised the attacker."

The attack happened at around 10am local time at the popular tourist attraction.

Reda al-Ha-mamy was shot in the legs and stomach. Five shots were fired by soldiers.

Paris police chief Michel Cadot said the attacker shouted "Allahu akbar (God is greatest)" as he "launched" himself at the soldier in the Carrousel du Louvre area of the popular attraction.

Mr Cadot added: "We are dealing with an attack from an individual who was clearly aggressive and represented a direct threat, and whose comments lead us to believe that he wished to carry out a terrorist incident."

Reda al-Ha-mamy is alive but seriously injured after the incident, police confirmed. One soldier was lightly injured.

Bomb disposal experts have confirmed there were no explosives found in the backpacks.

The Louvre - one of the city's busiest tourist attractions - has been sealed off and closed to the public following the incident.

The museum is due to open as normal tomorrow.

Officials say around 250 people who were in the building at the time have been moved to secure parts of the complex.

The French interior ministry originally said on Twitter that security forces were responding to a 'serious security incident':

Additional reporting by IRN