The US President appeared to criticise Sadiq Khan on Twitter for his response to last night's terror attack
The mayor of London Sadiq Khan has insisted he has “more important things to do” than respond to a tweet sent by US President Donald Trump following the London terror attack.
Just after midday, President Trump posted a tweet appearing to criticise Mr Khan for his statement on the incident.
"At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is "no reason to be alarmed!" the president tweeted.
We must stop being politically correct and get down to the business of security for our people. If we don't get smart it will only get worse— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 4, 2017
At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is "no reason to be alarmed!"— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 4, 2017
It comes after Mr Khan had warned there would be an increased armed police presence in the city over the coming days adding that there was “no reason to be alarmed” by the heightened security.
‘We are all shocked and angry today but this is our city,” he said. “We will never let these cowards win and we will never be cowed by terrorism.’
This afternoon a spokesperson for Mr Khan said the mayor had better things to do than respond to the American president’s "ill-informed" tweeting.
"The Mayor is busy working with the police, emergency services, and the government to coordinate the response to this horrific and cowardly terrorist attack and provide leadership and reassurance to Londoners and visitors to our city," said the spokesperson.
"He has more important things to do than respond to Donald Trump’s ill-informed tweet that deliberately takes out of context his remarks urging Londoners not to be alarmed when they saw more police - including armed officers - on the streets."
We are all shocked and angry today - but this is our city. We will never let these cowards win and we will never be cowed by terrorism. pic.twitter.com/kcosumkdCR— Sadiq Khan (@SadiqKhan) June 4, 2017
President Trump also used the attack to promote his attempted travel ban executive order, calling on the US legal system to “give us back our rights.”
We need to be smart, vigilant and tough. We need the courts to give us back our rights. We need the Travel Ban as an extra level of safety!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 3, 2017
The Trump administration last week asked the Supreme Court to immediately reinstate his proposed ban on travellers from six mostly Muslim countries entering the US.
The administration argues that the policy – which would also place a freeze on the US refugee programme – would provide greater security for America.
The ban has been blocked in the courts as it appears to target Muslims rather than tackle national security.
In the final tweet this morning the US President also used last night’s attack to comment on America’s gun control laws.
"Did you notice we are not having a gun debate right now? That's because they used knives and a truck."
Do you notice we are not having a gun debate right now? That's because they used knives and a truck!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 4, 2017
Britain's NHS (National Health Service) has warned that 21 of those injured in last night's attack are currently in a "critical condition."
At least seven people were killed and 48 injured in central London after attackers drove a van into pedestrians before stabbing others nearby.
In a statement this afternoon, London Met Police Chief Mark Rowley said 36 people currently remain in hospital receiving treatment.
12 people have been arrested in connection with the attack.