In a statement, the Dubliner's family said he is is suffering from a deteriorating heart problem
Irishman Ibrahim Halawa has been moved to hospital in the Egyptian prison where he has been held without trial for over three years and five months.
In a statement this evening, Mr Halawa’s family said he was moved to hospital as a result of a deteriorating heart problem.
He has been imprisoned since his arrest during demonstrations against the ousting of former Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi in August 2013.
According to the Dubliner’s family, he has been on hunger strike and has been refusing water. He has reportedly vowed to continue the hunger strike until he is safely released.
The family said the prison hospital facilities are “very poor” adding that his room has no access to sunlight.
Mr Halawa’s situation was the focus of a 45-minute meeting between Egyptian President, Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and an eight-member Oireachtas delegation in Cairo last month.
AAA/PBP TD Paul Murphy -who was a member of the delegation - said Egyptian authorities had denied Mr Halawa had a heart condition:
Ibrahim Halawa moved to prison hospital, with the heart condition that the authorities tried to deny he had when we were there. #FreeIbrahim— Paul Murphy (@paulmurphyAAA) February 23, 2017
The Minister for Foreign Affairs, Charlie Flanagan has said he is concerned for his wellbeing - adding that his department is providing him with consular care.
Mr Halawa was 17-years-old when he was first detained in August 2013 - and has now spent 1,286 days in prison.
He has been charged with attempted murder and faces a mass trial alongside 493 other defendants.
This evening the family said they appreciate the efforts made by the Irish government but warned that the approach is not working.
"We feel that the Government must do something different and be tougher,” they said in a statement. “It’s time they put a deadline on this.”
“He has been in prison for almost 4 years. His health is not good. He is on hunger strike.
“We feel that we are losing him. The Government must act now before it’s too late.”
The Dubliner’s trial has been rescheduled for 22nd March 2017. It will be the 20th time he has returned to court in the hope it will get underway.