Trial hears Jason Corbett was struck "at least ten times" in the head

Jason's wife Martens Corbett and her father Thomas Martens are on trial for second degree murder

Trial hears Jason Corbett was struck "at least ten times" in the head

Image: Facebook/Lenny Corbett

Limerick father Jason Corbett received horrific injuries after being hit in the head with a baseball bat and a brick at least ten times, a US court has heard.

Mr Corbett died after suffering the injuries in the upstairs bedroom of his luxury property.

His wife Molly Martens Corbett and her father Thomas Martens have pleaded not guilty to the charge of second degree murder and claim they acted in self-defence.

Four witnesses have given evidence for the prosecution as the murder trial continues in North Carolina.

Journalist Ralph Riegel who is covering the story for the Irish Independent said the first witness outlined how Thomas Martens told a 911 operator he had hit Mr Corbett with a baseball bat on the night he died.

“The first witness [...] gave evidence about the 911 call that was made at 3:02am by Thomas Martens,” he said.

“He said that his son-in-law Jason was in a bad way and when the operator asked him to clarify that, he said that he had struck him with a baseball bat.

“He claimed that he had intervened in a row between Mr Corbett and his wife.”

Molly Martens Corbett

He said the jury also heard that traces of a sleeping pill - prescribed to Mrs Martens Corbett - was found in Jason’s blood.

Jury members have been warned there will be some graphic photographs submitted in evidence as the trial continues.

“The nature of the injuries he sustained are actually quite horrific,” said Mr Riegel. “At one point Mr Martens said that the pathologist was unable to determine precisely how many times he was struck in the head such was the damage sustained to his skull.

In his opening address to the court prosecutor Alan Martin said at least one blow was landed after Mr Corbett was already dead.

Defence lawyers said Thomas Martens will claim Jason had his hands around Mrs martens Corbett’s neck and had threatened to kill her.

However the prosecution said there were no marks on either Mrs Martens Corbett or Thomas Martens when police and paramedics arrived.

The trial is continuing today.