Morning top 5: Trump warns of major conflict with North Korea; Man due in court on suspicion of terrorism related activities

The top stories this morning on Newstalk

The US President is warning of a major conflict with North Korea.

Earlier this week, Donald Trump's team hosted the entire US Senate at the White House for a classified briefing on the situation.

They revealed the US is aiming to pressure Kim Jong-un into dismantling his nuclear and ballistic missile programmes through tightened sanctions.

Overnight President Trump said there was a chance that US “could end up having a major, major conflict with North Korea, absolutely.”


A man is due in court later today on suspicion of involvement in international terrorism.

Two people – a man and a woman both in their 20s – were arrested yesterday after a search was carried out on their home in the city yesterday.

Gardaí believe they were taking donations from Islamic state sympathisers online and sending it on to Syria.

A number of items including mobile phones and computer equipment have been seized.

The woman has reportedly been released without charge.


In London a woman's under armed guard in hospital after being shot by police in a counter-terrorism operation.

She's in her 20's and was injured yesterday evening - the operation's not connected to yesterday's incident near Downing Street.

Armed officers entered a property in Harlesden Road, Willesden, shortly before 7pm on Thursday evening.

The woman was reportedly among a number of people under investigation and four others have been arrested.


Separately in the UK, a man is being held under the Terrorism Act after a bag of knives was found just yards from Downing Street.

It's understood the arrest of the 27-year-old suspect yesterday was 'intelligence-led.'

Scotland Yard says there is no immediate known threat.


An investigation is underway into a fatal house fire in North County Dublin which claimed the life of a pensioner.

The woman - who was in her 80s - died after a blaze broke out in her home in Walshestown in Lusk yesterday evening.

She was pronounced dead at the scene and taken to hospital in Blanchardstown for a post-mortem.