Morning top 5: Irish woman arrested over Sydney stabbing; fatal stabbing in Tallaght; and Trump's environment nominee elected

The top stories this Saturday morning

An Irish woman has been charged following the stabbing death of a man in Sydney.

The 25-year-old woman, was known to the deceased. A 36-year-old man was also arrested and both were taken to Bankstown Police Station.

She has been refused bail and will appear in local court on Sunday.  

The New South Wales Police Force is working with the Irish Consulate in Sydney.


US President Donald Trump's choice for head of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has been sworn in.

The vote was 52-46 as Republican leaders used their party's narrow Senate majority to push Scott Pruitt's confirmatio.

As attorney general, Mr Pruitt filed 14 lawsuits challenging EPA regulations.

He joined a multi-state lawsuit opposing the Obama administration's plan to limit carbon emissions from coal-fired power plants.


Malaysian police have arrested a fourth suspect over the death of the half-brother of North Korea's leader.

The man - who's from North Korea - was detained near Kuala Lumpur.

Two women and a boyfriend of one of them have already been questioned.

One of them claims she thought she was taking part in a TV prank.

The first post-mortem tests on Kim Jong Nam have come back inconclusive.


Fianna Fáil is warning that speculation over the Taoiseach's future is destabilising the Government.

Pressure is mounting on Enda Kenny to announce when he will step down as leader of Fine Gael.

An email from the parliamentary party chairman Martin Heydon - circulating on social media - calls on party members to refrain from commenting any further about the leader.

Fianna Fail's Finance Spokesperson Michael McGrath said he is concerned that party politics is deflecting from the work of Government.


Gardai are investigating a fatal stabbing that occurred at Deerpark Avenue, Tallaght this morning.

Emergency services were alerted to an incident at a house on Deerpark Avenue. His body remains at the scene and the office of the State Pathologist has been contacted. The area has been sealed off and a full technical examination will be carried out over the weekend.

No arrests have been made at this time amd investigations are ongoing.

Gardai wish to appeal to witnesses who may have been in the Deerpark Avenue or may have heard a disturbance between 4am and 5.30am this morning the 18th February to contact them at Tallaght Garda Station on 01 666 6000, The Garda Confidential Telephone Line 1800 666 111 or any Garda Station.