The blaze broke out at around 1.30am on Saturday
Tributes are being paid to former Labour Party Councillor Seamus Houlihan, who died in a house fire in Limerick city on Saturday morning.
Mr Houlihan, aged in his 80s, was discovered in his home by a family member after a fire broke out in the property shortly after 1.00am at Keyes Park.
His son James - a former Labour Party councillor who was living with his father - discovered the property ablaze after returning home.
It is understood the fire was caused by an electrical fault, and a clothes dryer was removed from the house by authorities investigating the fire.
Three units of Limerick City and County Fire Service responded to the scene - along with gardaí and Health Service Executive (HSE) paramedics.
Gardaí have sealed off the house and the scene has been preserved for a technical examination.
Labour TD and former Education Minister Jan O'Sullivan said Mr Houlihan was a champion of rights for the elderly.