Nearly 20 die and scores ill after drinking toxic alcohol in India

It is reported a number excise and magistrate officials were suspended

India, toxic alcohol, homemade, Etah district, hospital,

Image: Google Earth

At least 19 people have died and six have been blinded after drinking toxic homemade alcohol in northern India.

Another 50 people fell ill after drinking the bootleg liquor on Friday.

The Times of India says several others were admitted to hospital in critical condition.

It is also reported that a number excise and magistrate officials have been suspended following the incident.

The victims bought the alcohol from a village shop in Etah district, according to police.

Police suspect lethal levels of methanol in the alcohol proved fatal.

The shop owner has been arrested.