Five young friends who died at Camber Sands were on day trip to beach

The two brothers and their friends had travelled to Sussex together from London

camber sands

Police officers on Camber Sands near Rye, East Sussex | Photo: PA Images

Four of the five men who died at Camber Sands in Sussex yesterday have been named.

The group, who were in their late teens and early 20s, died after getting into difficulty in the water at the popular beach.

Two brothers were among those who died. They have been named as Kenigan and Kobi Nathan, aged 19 and 22.

The third victim has been named as Inthushan Sri and the fourth as Nitharsan Ravi, who was 22 and lived in southeast London.

His brother, Ajirthan, said the five friends travelled to the beach in Mr Ravi's car.

He told Sky News: "It has been a very hard time for us and especially for the parents of the other four victims, because they treat us the same way as their kids - that's how it works between us."

He described his brother as a "supportive" and "very talented" man who would be missed by many.

Mr Ravi's younger sister Mayura, 17, said her brother had always been very protective of her, adding: "I just want him back because it just feels like a dream. It doesn't feel real."

Charles Bosco, a friend of Mr Ravi, also paid tribute, telling Sky News they met at Tamil school when they were both children.

"Nitharsan was a really nice guy, very caring with his family," he said. "He was one of the good guys in life, always positive."

Mr Bosco added that his mother had gone to support Mr Ravi's family.

Jackson Bosco said on Facebook: "You were truly a good person with a good heart. You are going to be missed on this earth."

No lifeguards

The five men who died were spending the day at the beach when tragedy struck.

Emergency services were called to the beach at 2.10pm to reports of a person in difficulty in the sea. Another victim was spotted while they were at the scene, and a third man was pulled from the water 15 minutes later.

The bodies of a further two men were found in the water between 8.15pm and 8.45pm.

Witness Hannah Chatfield described how she helped drag one of the men out of the water after the alarm was raised while she was on the beach with her family.

"The first man was pulled out of the sea unconscious, maybe 20 minutes later a woman came over shouting, and saying there's more in there," she said. 

"Me and my boyfriend went to get him because the lifeguards were with the first guy. We were on the beach for about 45 minutes trying to resuscitate him but it didn't work."

Chief Superintendent Di Roskilly said: "This has been an incredibly tragic incident and we are offering their next of kin support at this difficult time and our thoughts are with them."

A local council spokesman said that while there were no lifeguards, regular assessments were carried out at the beach.
He said: "We are in regular discussion with emergency services and other colleagues to ensure that the measures currently in place are sufficient and identify any additional measures that may need to be taken, either in terms of arrangements at the beach or doing more to educate people of the dangers of the sea.
"Our thoughts remain with the family and friends of those who have lost their lives."