The simple invention alerts users to an overheating socket
A Cork-based electrician has developed a simple product that identifies overheating electronics, in the hopes of preventing fires.
Firemole is a young company founded by Sean O'Tuama that was born out of a personal experience.
"I have been an electrician for years and saw the damage caused by electronic malfunctions. Around a year ago, there was an incident in my own house that made me wonder why there was nothing to help prevent chargers from overheating and catching fire", he told Newstalk.com.
O'Tuama's product is very simple and requires nothing more than placing the adhesive device on top of a plug. There is no app or set up required. If a plug is overheating, it sounds an alarm to alert the user, thus preventing injuries and fires.
"If the Firemole detects temperatures over 54 degrees, the alarm will sound", explained O'Tuama.
The company is currently taking pre-orders and aims to begin trading in the summer of 2017 in Ireland and the UK. They intend to have international distributors in place by 2018.