They are accused of the offence at their home last year
An East African couple have appeared in court charged with the genital mutilation of their daughter in south Dublin.
The couple, aged in their mid-20s and 30s, are accused of the offence at their home last year.
This couple - who cannot be named for legal reasons - were arrested on Thursday morning and brought before the Dublin District Court this afternoon.
A garda told the court he charged them at a south Dublin garda station this morning with genital mutilation.
They are also charged with allowing a child to be assaulted, ill-treated or neglected which caused unnecessary suffering or injury.
The offences are alleged to have happened at the couple's home in September of last year.
The East African woman replied to one of the charges: 'I've told you before when we had an interview here that no one performed mutilation and I did not agree to anyone to perform mutilation on the child. She was not mutilated in any form.'
The couple has been remanded on bail on strict conditions.
They must sign on at a garda station twice a week, surrender their passports and not apply for any new travel documents.
They are due back in court again in February.