Mr Bailey is wanted in France to stand trial for the killing of Sophie Toscan du Plantier
The High Court has refused to surrender Ian Bailey to France - where he is wanted to stand trial for the killing of Sophie Toscan du Plantier.
This is the second time the courts have rejected an extradition application from France for Mr Bailey.
The Supreme Court rejected the first attempt five years ago on the basis that there was no actual intention to try him.
But last August, a decision was made to have him stand trial for voluntary homicide and a fresh arrest warrant was issued by the French to that effect.
Mr Bailey appeared before the High Court in June and his extradition hearing was heard last month.
His lawyers described their case as a “very straightforward and obvious” one. They said there was no way around the 2012 Supreme Court decision.
But Counsel for the Minister for Justice argued the court got it wrong and applied for the matter to be referred to Europe.
Mr Justice Tony Hunt relied on that original Supreme Court decision in making his ruling today.
VIDEO Ian Bailey again insists he'd nothing to do with Sophie Toscan du Plantier's death. High Court has refused to surrender him to France pic.twitter.com/xDBMdaUvjU— Frank Greaney (@FrankGreaney) July 24, 2017
On his way out of court, Mr Bailey welcomed today’s decision but said he feels his “ongoing ordeal” is far from over:
“I mean obviously I am pleased, I am delighted with the judgement of the judge today,” he said.
“I would thank Judge Hunt for that judgement – and I would also thank my legal team which has been amazing.”
“Yes I am pleased [but] it is the not the end of it.
“It is not the end of it because the state will almost certainly appeal that decision today.”
Ms Toscan du Plantier’s body was found beaten to death near her holiday home in Schull in west Cork just before Christmas 1996.