Katherine Zappone said she is "very disappointed" in the ASTI decision to strike
The Minister for Children and Youth Affairs has called on the ASTI to reconsider the government’s offer on pay for recently qualified teachers.
Earlier this week, Education Minister, Richard Bruton said pay increases of between 15% and 22% are on the table with the possibility of further rises down the road.
Minister Bruton conceded the offer would still see newly qualified teachers paid around €1,800 less than their colleagues who qualified before the economic crash.
The ASTI is set to hold the first of seven days of strike action on Thursday next week.
Union members in secondary schools across the country are also planning to withdraw from substitution and supervision duties after the mid-term break on the 7th of November.
Children’s Minister, Katherine Zappone said she is “very disappointed” at the ASTI decision to strike.
“I would ask that they would continue to consider coming back to the table to resolve the issues,” she said.
“I know that there will be meetings next week and I would really hope that the talking that will continue will enable us to avoid the strike."
The minister encouraged members to reconsider the pay increases on offer to new teachers:
Representatives from the ASTI and the Department of Education are due to meet again on Monday and Tuesday.