Police believe that drums containing the substance were dumped at a bonfire site
A child is fighting for his life after he is believed to have come into contact with a 'hazardous chemical' at a bonfire site in Belfast.
The boy is thought to have inhaled fumes after drums of the substance were dumped at the site on Glenwood Street, off the Shankill Road.
The boy is in intensive care, and is said to be in a critical condition.
Superintendent Andrea McMullan said: “A young boy is currently receiving treatment in hospital after it is believed he came into contact with this hazardous substance at the site.
“The symptoms, which may include redness of the eyes and sore throats coughing and breathing difficulties can take up to 36 hours to become visible and I would encourage anyone who has concerns about their children to seek medical advice immediately."
She added: "Any clothing or skin that may have been exposed should be washed to remove residual chemicals that may be left on them.”
PSNI Inspector Laura Kelly said that an investigation is underway.