Derry six-year-old finds crystal meth inside Kinder Surprise egg

The egg had been abandoned under the hedge near to where he was playing

Kinder, Surprise, Egg, Toy, Crystal Meth, Limavady, Derry, Londonderry

Kinder Eggs are a popular German chocolate treat, filled with a surprise toy that is not typically a Class A illegal substance [Flickr/bour3]

A six-year-old boy playing with his brother in Limavady, Co Derry, found a Kinder Surprise egg left under a hedge, and was somewhat taken aback to discover the surprise contents inside the milk chocolate shell was a bag of crystal meth.

Passing the illegal substance to his father, the egg was then presented to the local PSNI station, with officers now investigating.

“The contents of the bag, which was found inside a toy egg, is believed to be methamphetamine. This small quantity of drugs will be disposed of by police,” said Inspector Colin Shaw.

“This incident is of the uppermost concern for all of us. Tackling the use and supply of illegal drugs is a priority for us and the possibility that something so potentially dangerous has been discarded where children could find it is deeply concerning.

“I don’t want members of the local community to find drugs on their street, however, this incident just reminds us that criminals have no regard whatsoever for the safety of local residents, and I am thankful that this child had the sense to speak to an adult about what he discovered.”

Praising the boys’ quick thinking, local DUP councillor Alan Robinson said: “On Sunday night I was contacted by a gentleman whose nephew had found a Kinder egg hidden in a hedge in the Edenmore Road area of Limavady.

“When the child opened the plastic section, hidden within was a small sealed plastic bag containing a white powder. Having passed the contents to the police the family have told me that they have informed them that it contained an illegal drug.

“As a father of a child, I know how enticing Kinder eggs and their contents are to children. In this instance, the children are to be commended for passing the contents to their parents.

“Our children are precious and they should not be exposed to such danger.”

For more food news on Newstalk.com, please click here.