Off The Ball football pundit chats to Joe Molloy about today's statement
Earlier today, John Giles released a statement to confirm that his time with the RTE TV Soccer Panel will end after the upcoming Euro 2016 tournament.
Tonight he spoke to Off The Ball's Joe Molloy about the news and emphasised that he has no intention of retiring just yet after leaving a panel he has graced with Eamon Dunphy and Liam Brady for so long together.
He explained that he chose to release the statement today because "recently there have been one or two journalists sniffing around the story so I wanted to control the story and tell it exactly as it was".
But he also confirmed his willingess to continue working in other capacities once his time with the RTE Panel ends.
"I don't want to retire. I feel okay. I always said I would do it as long as I enjoyed doing it, and I want to continue with that. My career with RTE finishes after the Euros but I do want to continue doing what I'm doing," he said.
"Don't go where you're not wanted. And I knew that was the situation" - Giles #offtheball— Off The Ball (@offtheball) March 24, 2016
"I met with [RTE Head of Sport] Ryle Nugent last year and it was clear to me that this was my final contract which is fair enough. I have no bad feelings about that. RTE are entitled to do what they want to do and what they think is best for the future."