Everton have not commented on the issue
Everton star Ross Barkley was the victim of an "unprovoked" nightclub attack on Sunday, his lawyer has said.
CCTV footage from a bar in Liverpool appears to show the 23-year-old having a conversation with another man, who suddenly punches him in the face twice.
Barkley's lawyer said the England international had been approached by the man, who was restrained by revellers after the attack.
The incident, which occurred hours after Barkley starred in Everton's 4-2 home victory over Leicester, is being investigated by police.
In a statement, Merseyside Police said: "No report of an assault has been received, but officers are making enquiries to establish the circumstances of the incident."
Everton has not yet commented on the altercation.
Following the Toffees' win on Sunday, manager Ronald Koeman said Barkley must sign a new deal or face being sold by his boyhood club.
The midfielder is in the final 18 months of his contract and has been linked to a number of clubs.
Koeman said: "We offer him a new contract, and then [there are] two possibilities.
"One, he signs that contract, if he doesn't sign that contract then we need to sell the player. It's simple, it's not so difficult in my opinion."