Georges St-Pierre set for middleweight title shot against Michael Bisping

UFC President Dana White made the announcement this evening on ESPN's SportsCenter

Michael Bisping

Image: Pete Byrne/PA Wire/PA Images

Georges St-Pierre's long-awaited return to the UFC was confirmed earlier this year and now we know who his first opponent will be.

The former welterweight champion will move up to the heavier weight of 185lbs to challenge Micheal Bisping for the middleweight champion.

The announcement was made on Wednesday by UFC President Dana White on ESPN's SportsCenter and Bisping will defend his belt for a second time since beating Luke Rockhold at UFC 199. He already recorded a decision victory over Dan Henderson last year during Henderson's last fight before retirement. 

"He wanted to take a break and take some time away from the sport," White said. "He and I got together in Las Vegas, we had dinner and got a deal done. 

"We will have a press conference on Friday will him and Michael Bisping."

Of his decision to jump up in weight, White said: "Georges St-Pierre is always in shape, takes care of himself physically. We'll see what happens."

There had been rumours of a superfight with lightweight champion Conor McGregor and St-Pierre, but White said a fight being arranged between the two was "not even close". He did admit, however, that St-Pierre said he was able to make 155lbs if the fight against the Irish superstar came to pass.

"He was one of the big stars who helped build the sport and helped build the UFC. He never lost his title, he walked away and left the belt. Many people still consider him the 170lbs king.

No date or venue has been confirmed for the fight.