Vincent Kompany ruled out of Monaco clash

Man City welcome the French side to the Etihad Stadium on Tuesday

Vincent Kompany has been ruled out of Manchester City's Champions League tie with Monaco on Tuesday night.

The Belgian defender has failed to recover from a leg injury he picked up in training.

Speaking at a pre-match press conference on Monday, Manchester city manager Pep Guardiola said: "Vincent is not ready for tomorrow. I think it won't be longer. Hopefully, for the Huddersfield game he will be ready.

"More or less the rest are okay. We will see after the session tomorrow. Gael had a problem in his back. He is much, much better. Maybe he will be back tomorrow. Tomorrow we will also decide which goalkeeper will play," he added. 

Monaco are currently top of the French Ligue 1 - three points ahead of big spending PSG. They have scored a remarkable 76 goals so far this season and Guardiola described them "as killers in the box."

"I am really impressed how good Monaco are," said the Man City boss, adding: "they [are] physical and strong, the full-back play like wingers, the wingers play like attacking-midfielder. They are killers in the box."

Monaco's scoring record is even more impressive when you consider they cut their budget in 2014 after spending over €140 million in the two previous transfer windows. They have focused on developing academy talent and few expected them to be challenging for a title three years later.