Katie Taylor's New York bout is off, says promoter Eddie Hearn

The former Olympic champion had been set to box on the undercard of Gennady Golovkin versus Daniel Jacobs at Madison Square Garden venue in March

Katie Taylor, Eddie Hearn, Boxing

Image: Steven Paston PA Wire/PA Images

Katie Taylor's Madison Square Garden bout is off, according to her promoter Eddie Hearn.

The former Olympic champion had been set to box on the undercard of Gennady Golovkin versus Daniel Jacobs at the iconic New York venue in March.

Hearn says Top Rank promotions were unhappy that Taylor was fighting the night after Michael Conlan's pro debut at the same venue.

"What happened was, we were talking to Golovkin about Katie Taylor going on the card – which everyone wanted to do, obviously [because she's] Irish," he told IFL TV.

"And then Top Rank, Todd duBoef mainly, threw his absolute toys out of the pram because they’ve got the Conlan show the night before.

"Golovkin went on March 18, which they weren’t very happy about but they let it go. Then they heard Katie Taylor was on and they threw their toys out and went ‘we’ve got an Irish show, Katie Taylor’s obviously massive and she’s going on the night before?

"It was a big, well I won’t say argument, but it was drama. We were going to do the show on Sky, but we thought it wasn't going to go through so we're not doing the fight."

He says they're now trying to get the Bray native onto a different card and even mentions that she may fight on Anthony Joshua's undercard once again, when he fights Wladimir Klitschko in April.

The exchange comes up on the 27 minute mark in the video below.