Yaya Toure admits to drink-driving charge despite claiming he had "not been intentionally drinking"

The Manchester City player was given an 18-month ban

Yaya Toure admits to drink-driving charge despite claiming he had "not been intentionally drinking"

Picture by Matt Dunham AP/Press Association Images

Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure has admitted to drink-driving, but clarified he was "not intentionally consuming alcohol".

The 33-year-old was arrested in London last month, days after he played against Burnley in the Premier League. On Monday afternoon, he was banned for 18 months from driving.

Despite admitting to the charge, Toure has released a statement clarifying he does not drink alcohol, due to his religious beliefs.

"It is well known that I am a Muslim and do not drink", Toure said on Facebook.

"I have always refused alcohol. Anyone who knows me or follows football will have seen me refuse champagne for Man of the Match performances because of my commitment to my religion."

"It was important to me that I told the court that I had not intentionally consumed alcohol. The judge in his sentencing remarks accepted that I had not been intentionally drinking."

"Drink driving is a serious crime and even though I was not intentionally consuming alcohol I accept the ban and fine and I would like to apologise for this situation."

What remains to be found out is how Toure had alcohol in his system, despite not "intentionally drinking".