UFC president confirms what the Dubliner had already intimated after UFC205
UFC president Dana White has suggested that two-weight champion Conor Mc Gregor won't be back in the Octagon until next summer.
After adding the lightweight title to featherweight belt by beating Eddie Alvarez last Saturday at UFC205, McGregor had revealed that he is due to become a father.
As a result, he intended to take time away from mixed martial arts in order to focus on his family.
"I've a few announcements, one announcement is that I'm going to be a daddy early next year," he said post-fight.
"I'm crapping my jocks I'm not going to lie. I don't even know what way to take it, it's going to mess with my head because I don't want to bring a child into anything like this," he added.
"I don't want no little celebrity type sh**e, I hate that. I don't want my family to be like that.
"That's a little thing that's in my head. I'm going to have this baby, take a little time and see what way I feel after that."
In an interview with the LA Times, UFC chief White spoke of the potential return date for the Dubliner.
"He won’t fight before May" he said.
"His girlfriend gets super stressed out when he fights. He doesn’t want her having any of that stress while she’s pregnant. He’s good. He should take time off. He’s been fighting nonstop. Nothing wrong with him taking time off. It’s good for him and her and it’s good for the baby."
In the past 12 months, McGregor has fought four times.
He defeated Jose Aldo at UFC194 to claim the featherweight title in December 2015.
His next fight was a non-title fight at 170 pounds against Nate Diaz at UFC196 on March 5th when he tasted defeat for the first time since joining the UFC.
However, he won the much-anticipated rematch at UFC202 in August, before defeating Alvarez to win the lightweight belt on November 12th in New York.