Lance Armstrong pulls out of One Zero Conference appearance in Dublin

Former cyclist had been due to be interviewed by Ewan MacKenna

Lance Armstrong pulls out of One Zero Conference appearance in Dublin

Lance Armstrong ©INPHO/Getty Images

Lance Armstrong has pulled out of his scheduled appearance at the One Zero Conference in Dublin.

The former cyclist had been due to be interviewed by Irish sports journalist Ewan MacKenna tomorrow Friday, October 21st.

But citing legal reasons, the Texan has withdrawn from the conference.

Organisers confirmed that his withdrawal was confirmed at 16:00 GMT on Thursday October 20th, just 24 hours before he was due to be interviewed by MacKenna.

In a statement, One Zero co-founder Rob Hartnett said Armstrong had let them down.

"We are extremely disappointed that Armstrong has withdrawn at the last minute from appearing at One Zero. He has let us down, he has let his fans down and his has let down those that wanted to hear him openly discuss his past and the future of sport."

His fellow co-founder Richard Barrett also commented.

"We are obviously disappointed that Armstrong has cancelled less than 24 hours before the conference, however, he is just one of the 34 world class speakers we have lined up to appear tomorrow from the world of sport and technology. Sir. Clive Woodward, Shane Lowry, Jamie Fuller and John Kavanagh are just some of the key notes that will feature alongside many other global industry experts who will share their insights into the future of sport," he said.

 

 MacKenna gave his reaction to the news of the withdrawal on Twitter: 

Armstrong recently spoke to Newstalk's Off The Ball in an exclusive interview on Friday, October 7th which you can listen back to here: