The Chesterfield striker was found not guilty of rape, earlier this week
Ched Evans has said he can never directly apologise to the woman, at the centre of a rape case involving the footballer.
Evans, was found guilty of raping the 19-year-old woman in 2011. The verdict was quashed in 2014. Earlier this week in a retrial, Evans was found not guilty. He walked free from court.
The 13-times capped Wales international, has returned to football and is currently signed to Chesterfield and has scored four goals in seven league games for the League One side.
Speaking to the Mail on Sunday, after being found not gulity, Evans said he does not condone the abuse the woman has suffered on social media, since the verdict.
"I have maintained my innocence from day one," he said. "So I can never apologise directly for what happened but I can apologise for the effect it's had. The social media stuff, I don't condone whatsoever. I don't agree with it. It's not been easy for her. I know that. I think it was a situation that got taken out of our hands from an early stage."
"She never said anybody raped her. She said she had a blackout but that didn't mean, like it was said in court, that she didn't consent. My behaviour that night was not acceptable - but it wasn't a crime."
Evans has also said he expects to get plenty of attention from opposition fans in the coming weeks. He is currently injured, but is expected to return to the pitch before the end of the month.
"I'll get abuse from football fans but that's what football fans do. There will be nothing hanging over me, nothing at the back of my mind. I don't think I will ever get away from it even after bring found innocent by a jury. I now just want to let the football do the talking."