Rio 2016 organisers release official statement in response to apparent attack on media bus

The incident left two people with minor injuries after suffering glass cuts

Rio 2016, media bus

File photo dated 09/08/16 of damage to a media bus in the Deodoro area of Rio de Janeiro on the fourth day of the Rio Olympic Games, Brazil, as a journalist on board the media transport bus that had two windows smashed while it was travelling from a venue to the Olympic park has said the damage was caused by gunfire. Picture by: David Davies / PA Wire/Press Association Images

Rio 2016 organisers have released a statement after an incident involving a media bus on Tuesday night.

Two of the windows on the bus were smashed in what appeared to be an attack in the Deodoro area of Rio de Janeiro, which is now being investigated by security forces.

The incident left two people with minor injuries after suffering glass cuts.

According to APF journalist Rob Woollard, the cause is believed to be from stones thrown rather than bullets as had been earlier reported: 

 

 

In a statement, Olympic organisers said: "According to the driver’s report, the media transport bus left the Youth Arena in Deodoro at around 19:30 this evening, Tuesday 9 August, travelling towards Barra Olympic Park. When on the expressway Transolímpica, near Curicica, the driver heard a noise from inside the bus which he thought was photography equipment falling down.

"Immediately, he looked in the rearview mirror and noticed that the passengers were lying on the ground. He continued to drive for a few metres until he saw a police car and stopped. At this time, he realised that two windows on the same side of the bus were broken.

"He resumed the route under the escort of the police car and the broken windows began to give way further. After arriving at the Media Centre, he found that two passengers had minor injuries caused by broken glass cuts. The driver will provide a statement to police this evening accompanied by a security manager of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games Organising Committee. Also this evening, the bus will be subjected to an official inspection by the police. Preliminary results will be released as they become available. The Area Defense General Coordinator (CGDA) of the army and the military police informed that patrols are being increased in the area."