The host claims his sources are telling him it will be happening this year.
ESPN host Colin Cowherd believes that the much talked about "superfight" between Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather will happen this year.
With the next step for both the UFC and McGregor looking complicated, speculation is growing around the potential bout between the two stars.
According to MMA Junkie, it seems that Dana White's meeting with Nate Diaz on the possibility of a rematch did not go well, while McGregor admitted in a recent interview that there was a "civil war" going on between him and the UFC.
Speaking on ESPN, McGregor stated that there would be a number of obstacles in the way of the superfight also, most notably the pay scale: "The leak came out and it was him that leaked that rumour. It said he gets $100 million and I get $7 million. That’s a pay cut to me. I don’t take pay cuts."
McGregor added that it was Mayweather who needed him, saying "if he wants to talk, we can talk, but it’s me who is in control".
Despite those concerns, the host of The Herd stated that the fight will go ahead according to his intel, and the likely date is some time in September of this year.
"It changed late last week," said Cowherd "I got a call, then somebody else sent me something yesterday and Saturday - we've booked rooms in Vegas."
However, Cowhred added that the spectacle of the two meeting in the ring will not be a good one to watch for the paying fans. "I don't think it's going to be a good fight, but it's an event," he said.
"This is going to be commerce, that's what it's going to be. Does it have a little Bernie Madoff feel to it? Does it have a little ponzi scheme, a little this is going to be awful and we're all going to pay $100? Yeah, I guess".
"In the end, I think this is an incredibly lopsided fight, I don't think it would be close, but I don't know who needs it more,
"You've got Fox and CBS, you've got UFC, you've got boxing, you've got Floyd, you've got Conor. It's going to make a lot of money for people."