Joshua meets unbeaten Dominic Breazeale on June 25 to defend his IBF world heavyweight title
Anthony Joshua has taken his first steps into the US boxing market after signing a multi-fight deal with American network Showtime before his maiden IBF world heavyweight title defence.
The Watford native faces the unbeaten Dominic Breazeale at the O2 Arena on 25 June, with the pair both having fought at the Olympic Games in London four years ago.
"I know there are a lot of positive things happening in boxing and around my career, you see my reaction when these things happen and you’re only good when you’re winning," he told the Guardian.
"Every fight could be your last fight, that is why I’m serious and I don’t let success go to my head. Me and Dominic are very equal, 17 fights, 16 fights, turned professional around the same time."
The 30-year-old challenger racked up 15 stoppages over the course of those 17 fights, while Joshua has a 100 percent KO record in his 16 outings. Previous to Dylan White last year, Joshua had never been past the third round.
"It is a very equal fight, he is my fourth undefeated fighter I've been fighting. He gets to announce himself in the UK and I can announce myself in America and the best man will come out on top. May the best man win."
Joshua stopped Charles Martin in the second round to take the IBF title from him last month, but Breazeale insists he will not make the same mistakes as his compatriot.
"It is a pleasure to be back in London,” he said. "I couldn't care less about the deals AJ has going on with Sky or Showtime, all I can do is prepare for 25 June. I wish it was this weekend.
"Charles Martin came over here and dropped the ball, he wasn't prepared for it. I’m hoping Anthony Joshua is preparing to be in a war and a dog fight because that is what I’m bringing.
"We are both Olympians and we represented our countries for a reason. I’m not coming here to hear the final bell or the judges scores, I’m coming all guns blazing and to knock Anthony Joshua out."