The 26-year-old hasn't started any of the five Allianz League games so far this season
Seanie Tobin says it's "heartbreaking" to walk away from the Limerick hurling panel after announcing his decision to step away today.
The Murroe-Boher club-man has struggled to break back into the panel and hasn't started any of the five Allianz League games so far this season.
"This decision was not easy and was not one I wanted to make but I felt it was one I had to make for various reasons that have accumulated over time,” he told the Limerick Leader.
"I have given everything to Limerick over the last number of years and it's heartbreaking to walk away."
Tobin didn't make the matchday squad for Sunday's defeat to Clare and has had to compete with the likes of Cian Lynch and Barry Nash elevated from the U21 panel.
He added: "I am not retiring. I am going back training with my club on Wednesday evening and looking forward to getting going with them. I wish the players all the best for the year ahead, they deserve the utmost respect as people and as professionals and I hope to see them perform to the best of their ability in the coming year."
Limerick travel to Dublin in the league quarter-finals in Parnell Park on April 2.