Man arrested in Old Trafford on suspicion of terror offences

In total 14 people have been arrested in connection with the Manchester attack

Man arrested in Old Trafford on suspicion of terror offences

Image: Jonathan Brady/PA Wire/PA Images

A 25-year-old man has been arrested in Old Trafford on suspicion of terror offences, Greater Manchester Police says.

In total 14 people have been arrested in connection with the investigation into Monday's attack at the Manchester Arena - and 12 men remain in custody for questioning.

Elsewhere in Manchester, investigators have executed a warrant at an address on Moss Side, where a search is currently under way.

Residents on Selworthy Road have claimed that an explosion happened as the raid began - but police have not commented on whether a controlled explosion was used to gain entrance to the property.

Earlier on Sunday, Home Secretary Amber Rudd said investigators cannot be entirely sure that Salman Abedi's terror network has been dismantled - and warned other members of the bomber's group are "potentially" still at large.

Police have issued CCTV images of Abedi in a plea for information about his movements in the days before the explosion targeting a sold-out Ariana Grande concert, which killed 22 people.

Ms Rudd also told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show that Islamic State was trying to "weaponise" young Britons.

She also defended the work of the security services, amid reports that warnings about Abedi were not followed up.

Abedi had been a former "subject of interest" to MI5, but Ms Rudd said: "The intelligence services are still collecting information about him and about the people around him.

"But I would not rush to conclusions, as you seem to be, that they have somehow missed something."

Ms Rudd also revealed that powers to ban suspected jihadis from returning to the UK have been used for the first time.

She refused to say how many times temporary exclusion orders had been used, but confirmed "we have started to use them".

The parents of one of the victims has urged the Government to "open its eyes" to the terror threat facing the UK.
Georgina Callander's family said the 18-year-old's life had been cut short by "evil, evil men prepared to ruin lives and destroy families".

The statement released through police added: "I wish I could say that Georgina is one of the last to die in this way but unless our Government opens its eyes we know we are only another in a long line of parents on a list that continues to grow."