Bus Éireann strike suspended ahead of further talks

SIPTU and the NBRU have deferred their campaigns

Bus Éireann strike suspended ahead of further talks

File photo | Image: RollingNews.ie

A planned indefinite strike at Bus Éireann for Monday, March 6th has been suspended.

While the company has also said it is suspending the implementation of proposed cost-saving measures.

The NBRU say they have accepted an invitation to talks at the Workplace Relations Commission (WRC) over the company's Expressway service.

General-Secretary Dermot O'Leary said: "Whilst we have today informed the WRC that we will accept the invitation to attend at facilitated discussions on Monday next to discuss the €9m losses at Expressway, we remain firmly of the view that an overall resolution to this dispute can only be achieved by all of the Stakeholders being party to an overarching agreement.

"We have in deference to the WRC suspended our strike action planned for Monday to coincide with the decision of Bus Eireann not to implement unilateral non-agreed measures from Monday."

SIPTU representatives have also accepted an invitation to talks on Monday aimed at resolving the dispute. 

SIPTU sector organiser, Willie Noone, added: "It has always been apparent that the expertise of the WRC will be required to deal with the serious and complex issues in this dispute.

"In deference to a request by the WRC the scheduled strike action by SIPTU members in Bus Éireann, which was due to commence on Monday, has been suspended."

While Bus Éireann itself said: "The financial situation at Bus Éireann remains critical, with the company facing insolvency by May.

"To facilitate meaningful discussions with unions, Bus Éireann management have today accepted a new invitation by the WRC to seek a solution.

"We will therefore defer the implementation of changes announced in our recent letter to staff, due to commence on Monday 6th March, while talks continue."

The strike was due to be held by workers protesting against proposals for the cost savings to be implemented from Monday.

The board of company approved the measures earlier this week, which they said was due to the "perilous state" of the company’s finances.