Head of Trump’s inauguration said the media twisted the situation
Donald Trump did not ask Andrea Bocelli to perform at his inauguration in January, inauguration committee Chairman Tom Barrack said.
Speaking on CNBC's "Squawk Box", Mr Barrack said: “Bocelli and his wife have been friends of Trump from the very beginning … Bocelli is loyal to him as an individual. "
Mr Barrack, founder of real estate powerhouse Colony Capital, said it was the Bocellis who approached Trump, saying he would consider performing if it would be helpful.
"The Bocelli’s came to him and said, ‘Look, if it would be helpful to you, if you would like us to perform, we would consider it.’ [But] Donald said, ‘You don’t need to. We’re not in that kind of a framework. Thanks very much for the offer. You’re my friend. You are always welcome at the White House."
Barrack said the media twisted the situation, reporting that Bocelli declined to perform at Trump's Jan. 20 inauguration after being trolled on social media.
"It never got to: Can you, will you, would you with either of them. They're just great friends. And that was it."
TheWrap reported last week that the President-elect is struggling to book A-list performers for his inaugural festivities, and that two talent bookers were offered ambassadorships if they could deliver marquee names. The inauguration team has its sights set on top-tier talents like Justin Timberlake, Bruno Mars, Katy Perry and Aretha Franklin, and were willing to pay steep fees for the performers.