Government urged to take in Calais children

The 'Jungle' was evacuated last week

The government is being urged to take in unaccompanied child refugees from the Calais jungle migrant camp in Calais.

A reported 1,400 children - some as young as six years old - remain stranded at the French camp after authorities began demolishing it.

The Dáil is set to debate a motion on Wednesday calling for 200 of the children to be relocated here.

Children's Rights Alliance CEO Tanya Ward called the situation a "child protection travesty on our doorstep".

"We'd be very concerned about what would happen from a child trafficking point of view because we know from a broader understanding arpimd the refugee crisis, 10,000 unaccompanied minors have gone missing," she said.

Earlier this week, French president Francois Hollande hailed the Calais evacuation as a success, vowing that that France would not accept the emergence of any more makeshift migrant camps.

"We had to rise to the challenge of the refugee issue. We could not tolerate the camp and we will not tolerate any others," he added.

Since mid-October, Britain has taken in 274 children from the Jungle, mostly unaccompanied youngsters with relatives already living in the country.

The Taoiseach continues to stress the government's committment to the refugee crisis, saying that the country is on track to meet its refugee resettlement targets.

Ireland has accepted 69 refugees so far, having agreed to relocate 353.

"There has been good progress in the resettlement of refugees from outside the Union to date," he says, adding that Ireland will also meet its targets for Lebanon.