Evening top 5: Man in Romania charged after NI teenager's death; Clinton emails probed

The top stories of the day on Newstalk.com

FBI reopens Hillary Clinton email investigation as more messages emerge

The FBI has opened a fresh investigation into Hillary Clinton's personal emails following the discovery of new messages.

FBI director James Comey said the probe will examine whether the new emails - connected to an "unrelated case" - contain sensitive government information.

However, Mr Comey's letter to key Republican committee chairmen in the House of Representatives and Senate said he cannot yet tell whether the new messages are significant.

***

Man charged in Romania in connection with webcam blackmail of Tyrone teenager

A man has appeared in court in Romania in connection with the webcam blackmail of a 17-year-old Tyrone teenager who took his own life.

The 31-year-old male appeared at Bucharest Municipal Court, charged with producing and distributing indecent images of children and blackmail. 

The charges are connected to a PSNI investigation into alleged online blackmail linked to the June 2015 death of Ronan Hughes.

***

Decision to take garda dispute to the Workplace Relations Commission "a significant breakthrough"

The government and the union representing rank and file gardaí have reached an agreement to use the Labour Court and Workplace Relations Commission in a bid to avert next Friday's strike.

Direct talks between the Department of Justice and the Garda Representative Association (GRA) have been underway for several days with no sign of a resolution.

A joint statement from the Department and the GRA this afternoon said an agreement had been reached to utilise the state institutions "on an ad-hoc basis". Fresh talks are to get underway this weekend. 

***

Belfast High Court rejects legal challenge to Brexit

Northern Ireland's High Court has dismissed a first legal challenge to Britain's exit from the European Union.

Mr Justice Paul Maguire said the implications for Northern Ireland were still uncertain after British Prime Minister Theresa May said she would begin exit negotiations before March.

A cross-party group of politicians claimed the country should have a veto on an exit - and said the Stormont Assembly should have a say on whether to trigger negotiations with Europe.

***

Syrian rebels launch onslaught to break siege in beleaguered Aleppo

Syrian rebel fighters have launched an offensive against government forces in Aleppo to try and break a siege which has lasted for months.

There are conflicting accounts of advances after hundreds of missiles as well as suicide car bombings targeted the western edge of the city.

A Syrian military airport was also under attack.