Morning top 5: Major rent increases predicted; Mosul under attack

The headlines this Tuesday morning...

New research has predicted that rents in Ireland will rise by between 22% and 26% over the next two-and-a-half year.

The study by Savills, using CSO data, also says that a 300% increase in vacant units in needed before rents will stabilise. 

Some 24.5% of all households in Dublin are now living in private rented accommodation – a 61.3% increase since the beginning of 2011.

***

Iraqi and Kurdish forces have seized a number of villages around Mosul - but their advance has been slowed by suicide bombers, roadside IEDs and oil fires.

The Peshmerga gained 80 square miles of territory from Islamic State during the first day of the huge military operation, according to the president of Iraq's Kurdish region. 

Families have been advised by local forces to stay inside and put up a white flag on their homes to stay safe.

***

Three more NAMA directors are set to face questions this morning over the sale of its Northern Ireland loan book.

The Dáil's Public Accounts Committee was told last week that the transaction was not overseen by NAMA's Northern advisory committee - but instead by its main board, based in Dublin.

Today, three members of that board will be called in for questioning on why the sale was not called off, after concerns were raised about alleged fixer fees.

***

Melania Trump has rejected accusations her husband is sexist and misogynistic, a week after a tape emerged of him making disparaging remarks about women.

Speaking in a series of interviews with US broadcasters CNN and Fox, Donald Trump's wife dismissed his language as inappropriate "boy talk" which did not reflect the man she knew.

She said Mr Trump may not have been aware his microphone was on during the recording of a television programme in 2005, adding that Access Hollywood host Billy Bush had encouraged her husband.

***

Back in Ireland, the fallout from the suspension of water charges will be discussed at cabinet later today.

Minister for Housing Simon Coveney will bring a memo to the ministers' meeting warning of a €200 million shortfall because of the move.

It says other ways of addressing the shortfall will have to be found if charges remain suspended next year.