Republican official claims Trump's remarks about women were "made when he was a Democrat"

Republican Susan Hutchison said it was hypocritical of Clinton to criticise Trump for his comments

Republican official claims Trump's remarks about women were "made when he was a Democrat"

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump | Photo: Darron Cummings/AP/Press Association Images

A republican official from Washington State has labeled Hillary Clinton a hypocrite for condemning Donald Trump's remarks about women. 

In a video obtained on Friday by The Washington Post, the Republican Presidential candidate was recorded telling Access Hollywood host Billy Bush that he "can do anything" to women because he is famous.

"I just start kissing them," said Trump. "And when you're a star they let you do it. Grab them by the p****. You can do anything."

Trump said that he was sorry if anyone had been offended by the remarks, referring to them as "locker room banter," before later issuing a longer apology in a video saying: "I was wrong and I apologise. I pledge to be a better man tomorrow and will never, ever let you down."

Susan Hutchison, Republican Party Chair for Washington, has hit back however, claiming that the reaction to the comments, in particular from Clinton's camp.

In a statement made to NBC affiliate King 5 News, Hutchison said: "Donald Trump’s comments in 2005 – 11 years ago were made when he was a Democrat. The hypocrisy of Hillary Clinton to say Trump does not belong in the White House when her husband defined this behavior."

In an interview on KOMO News Radio, Hutchison said "He [Trump] was a Democrat at the time and he was channeling Bill Clinton."

Clinton labelled the comments "horrific" in a tweet on Friday shortly after the news broke, adding that "we cannot allow this man to become president."

She was not alone in condemning the remarks either, as prominent members of the Republican Party also hit out. Chairman of the RNC Reince Priebus said: "No woman should ever be described in these terms or talked about in this manner. Ever."

Other prominent Republican figures, including Jeb Bush and Mitt Romney also weighed in, while Speaker of the House Paul Ryan canceled an appearance with Trump which was scheduled to take place in Wisconsin, saying: "I am sickened by what I heard today. Women are to be championed and revered, not objectified.

"I hope Mr Trump treats this situation with the seriousness it deserves and works to demonstrate to the country that he has greater respect for women than this clip suggests."

In the wake of the leak, women have been sharing their stories of sexual assault on Twitter using the hashtag #notokay.

Some GOP figures have drawn the line at this latest controversy and decided to withdraw their support for the Republican candidate, such as Utah Congressman Jason Chaffetz, who said: "There is no way I can vote for Donald Trump [...] I am not going to put my good name and my family behind Donald Trump for president."

Utah Governor Gary Herbert has also withdrawn his support for Trump, saying that his remarks were "beyond offensive."