German police raid second flat as manhunt for Chemnitz bomb suspect continues

Authorities are searching for a Syrian national after finding explosives at his Chemnitz apartment

Germany, house of horrors, women, tortured, Lower Saxony, police, arrests,

A police officer holds a body cam in Berlin, Germany | Image: Michael Sohn / AP/Press Association Images

German police have stormed a second apartment in Chemnitz as they continue the search for a man suspected of planning a bomb attack.

"Nobody was injured, and no shots were fired. We've taken the man into custody and we are questioning him now," said Tom Berhardt, spokesman for the criminal investigation office in Saxony.

Authorities yesterday detained three people in connection with the search, two of whom have now been released.

The suspect was identified as Jaber Albakr from Damascus and police have urged anyone with information about his whereabouts to come forward.

Roughly a hundred grams of explosive materials had been discovered at his apartment.

While German media have reported that Albakr, who entered the country last year, may be connected to Islamic extremist groups, Officer Berhardt said, "this doesn't automatically mean we are talking about IS (Islamic State)."

"This could also be a case of self-radicalisation via the internet," he said.

Details of the suspected plot have not been released, but Focus news magazine reported the suspect was planning an attack on a German airport.

An explosion was carried out by police on Saturday after armed forces moved into an apartment in the Fritz-Heckert-Gebiet neighbourhood.

"The explosion heard was an access measure by the police. A relevant person could not be found," Saxony police said on Twitter. 

An image released by police showed a dark-haired man wearing a hooded sweatshirt. He was said to have been wearing similar clothes when he was last seen.

Albakr is reported to have been under surveillance by the security services with the raid following a tip-off from the domestic intelligence service.

Islamic State claimed two attacks in Germany in July in which asylum seekers hurt 20 people - on a train near Wuerzburg and at a music festival in Ansbach.