The foundation is accused of operating without proper certification
The Trump Foundation has been ordered to cease fundraising by New York's attorney general.
Eric Schneiderman has published a notice ordering the foundation to "cease and desist from soliciting contributions in New York".
The foundation is said to have solicited contributions in New York State earlier this year, in violation of state law.
It follows a report in the Washington Post last week by reporter David Fahrenthold, which saw the charity accused of soliciting donations without proper certification.
Shout-out to the anonymous law prof. who pointed this out to me when I -- clueless -- called abt something else. You know who you are! https://t.co/pCjwzEtGT5— David Fahrenthold (@Fahrenthold) October 3, 2016
It claimed Trump’s foundation has survived entirely on donations from others since 2008, when the businessman gave his last personal donation.
Any charity which solicits over $25,000 a year from the public has to obtain a special kind of registration prior to beginning operations.
In a statement responding to today's news, a Trump spokesperson said: "While we remain very concerned about the political motives behind AG Schneiderman's investigation, the Trump Foundation nevertheless intends to cooperate fully with the investigation".