Commuters gear up for another Dublin Bus stoppage from Thursday

All services will cease on Wednesday from 9.00pm

Commuters gear up for another Dublin Bus stoppage from Thursday

Empty, unused rows of Dublin Buses lined up in the Ringsend Dublin Bus Depot | Image: Rollingnews.ie

Dublin Bus is asking commuters to make alternative arrangements, as workers are set to stage a second 48-hour stoppage from Thursday.

But it says all services - including Airlink - will cease on Wednesday September 14th from 9.00pm.

The company says this is to ensure "the safe and secure return of buses to each depot prior to the commencement of industrial action by all employees at midnight".

There will be no Dublin Bus routes, sightseeing tours or Airlink services on Thursday 15th and Friday 16th September.

Nitelink services will also not operate on Friday night or Saturday morning.

Dublin Bus is apologising to customers for the inconvenience and disruption.

It is also urging all employees and trade unions not to engage in the planned strike action.

The action relates to pay, with Dublin Bus drivers seeking a 15% increase in wages to be on parity with Luas drivers.

Dublin Bus accepted a Labour Court recommendation in July of a pay increase of 8.25% over three years for all employees.

It claims the request for a 15% pay increase will cost €50m over a three year period, and would "seriously undermine" its financial stability.

Dublin Bus says the continued industrial action is costing the company in excess of €600,000 each day.

"We remain willing and open to engage with the trade unions and urge them to return to talks as provided for in the Labour Court recommendation, so that we can work together to move forward and find a resolution to the current dispute", it adds.

'Strengthened our members resolve'

SIPTU members have expressed anger and frustration at what they say is "the continued silence of management and the Department of Transport" in relation to resolving the dispute.

SIPTU organiser, John Murphy, said: "The complete intransigence shown by Dublin Bus, the Department and the Minister for Transport in response our members need for an acceptable pay rise, has created real anger and frustration.

"It has also strengthened our members resolve to implement further industrial action scheduled for this Thursday and Friday, and escalate the dispute if it is deemed necessary.

"Our members on the picket lines during the 48-hour work stoppage last week were heartened by the support given to them by the general public.

"They are very annoyed that they will be unable to provide the public with a transport service if they are forced to again implement a 48-hour work stoppage this week.

"The fact that the work stoppage on Friday will also impact on Culture Night in Dublin is also regrettable."

While the organisers of Dublin Culture Night say in a statement: "The Dublin Bus strike is a matter for Dublin Bus and the unions.

"If the Dublin Bus strike does go ahead we hope it will not deter people from enjoying the fantastic free family events taking place this Friday.

"We would also remind people of the many other public transport options available including Luas, DART and Coca Cola Dublinbikes when in the city."